Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino says he is considering an appeal against his two-match touchline ban issued by the Football Association.

The Guardian write that Pochettino received the ban for confronting referee Mike Dean on the pitch after Spurs’ 2-1 loss to Burnley last month.

The Argentine was frustrated at Dean’s decision to award a corner-kick in the build-up to Burnley’s first goal and was joined on the pitch by his assistant Jesus Perez after the match.

Alex Livesey/Getty Images Sport

The 47-year-old says he was ‘shocked’ at the decision, especially as it is his first major misdemeanour since arriving in England.

He said:

I am a little bit in shock because I think it’s completely unfair. But what can I do now? Nothing. We still don’t know the reasons because the letter [of explanation] still hasn’t arrived. I know very well that it wasn’t the idea to appeal because in my mind it wasn’t a big deal. Of course, it wasn’t the best way to complain or talk with the referee, but I never expected this type of situation, that for me is not fair. I need to see the reasons why, and then we’ll see what happens. It’s my seventh season in England and you can see my behaviour from day one, talking in public and private. I was a coach, a manager, a person who wanted to help the Premier League and the FA; someone who tried to understand and behave my best to try to help the referees and football and always to try and improve our game. It’s my first time here that I’m maybe not completely right in my behaviour but I feel this is too much. I feel a little sad and disappointed with the punishment. I need to wait to see [their] reasons to ban me for two games. It’s unbelievable, no.

As things stand, Pochettino will be in the stand for his return to Southampton on Saturday, as well as Spurs’ trip to title-chasing Liverpool two weeks later.

As well as the ban, he was given a £10,000 fine when informed of the decision on Tuesday.

Yes

No